Postdoctoral Contract in entrepreneurial finance-focus on deep-tech and spin-off start-up financing
Audencia Business School, Nantes
Administratif Finance Entrepreneuriat Innovation
Présentation de l'établissement
Audencia Business School is triple accredited (AACSB, EQUIS and AMBA), and one of the leading European and French Business Schools. The school offers a wide range of programs including MSc, MBA, Executive MBA, European Master in Management, Doctorate and Executive Education Programmes, with 120 core faculty members from 25 countries. The school is located in Nantes, two hours away from Paris by train, serviced by an international airport.
The postdoctoral researcher will be part of the team of the Finance for Innovation Chair and will work with Professors Benjamin Le Pendeven and Carine Girard-Guerraud (co-holders of the Chair). The Chair is a group of 3 professors and 2 PhD students, supported by Early Metrics (rating agency for start-ups), Sowefund (equity crowdfunding platform), Fonds B. (outcomes-fund dedicated to Social Impact Bonds) and European Investment Fund working on exciting and promising topics related to innovation’s financing.
The postdoctoral researcher will benefit from the material and scientific infrastructure of Audencia, allowing him/her to carry out research in the best conditions. Moreover, he/she will be included in the academic life of the research team of the school in general and of the Chair in particular, including senior researchers and PhD students, in a multinational and stimulating scientific and professional atmosphere. 106 research professors are involved in its research lab ‘Audencia research’ that produced more than 400 papers in peer-reviewed journals, 107 books and 46 case studies while they have attracted funding from companies and public funding of close to 5 million euros.
Description du poste
This 18-month contract will be funded under the auspices of the Audencia Business School "Finance for Innovation" Chair.
The postdoctoral researcher will interact regularly with the sponsors of the Chair in general, and with the Région Pays de la Loire representatives, as well as with many other organizations in the entrepreneurial ecosystem. This research projects aims to positively impact the economic agents.
Profil recherché / Compétences requises
Audencia Business School invites applications at the rank of postdoctoral researcher with research interests consistent with the areas of entrepreneurial finance. The contract is fully dedicated to the topic of funding deep-techs and spin-offs start-up.
- Submission of applications until September 1, 2020 (interactions and exchanges with future supervisors are highly encouraged before the application)
- Selection of candidates in September 2020
- Beginning of the contract in October or November 2020
This is an 18-months contract.
CONTENT OF THE RESEARCH PROJECT
The aim of the project is to develop new knowledge about the deep-techs and spin-offs startups.
The postdoctoral researcher will have to search with the Chair’s team the following three main topics:
- Understanding to what extent pre-seed non-dilutive financial tools, especially public subsidies and entrepreneurial loans influence future-startup capacity to raise equity funds in venture capital.
- Analyzing the investment criteria of VCs financing deep-techs and spin-offs startups. Do they mainly make choice on “the jockeys, or the horses?”. Contrary to usual digital startup, literature does not inform about the preferences and consequences of the criteria hierarchy.
- Investigating the role of VCs in the deep-tech startup/VC relationship: a guide, a coach, a controller? Moving from a scientific posture to an entrepreneurial posture, these CEOs do not have the same profiles and needs rather than usual entrepreneurs. This impacts the relations and roles of VCs.
- Holding a PhD in entrepreneurial finance or related fields (corporate finance with focus on SMEs or in entrepreneurship with close links with funding);
- Ability to develop and conduct high quality research;
- Knowledge of both quantitative and qualitative research methods;
- Professional experience in the field of entrepreneurial finance (venture capital funds, crowdfunding, Bpifrance, fundraising advice, etc.) would be appreciated;
- Demonstrated ability to speak, clearly and professionally, write and understand in English with basic skills in French (for some interactions with local practitioners);
- The candidate can be French or from a foreign country;
- Deep interest in the world of start-ups , entrepreneurial finance, and academic research.
Consideration will also be given to good collaborative skills, enthusiasm for research, and ability to conduct research independently.
Documents à transmettre
DOCUMENTS TO BE SENT
Candidates must apply by September 10 2020 to Benjamin Le Pendeven (email@example.com) and Carine Girard-Guerraud (firstname.lastname@example.org), Professors and co-holders of the "Finance for innovation" Chair at Audencia, a CV, a letter of motivation, the PhD thesis, and a letter of recommendation from their PhD’s supervisor(s).
Benjamin Le Pendeven (email@example.com) and Carine Girard-Guerraud (firstname.lastname@example.org), Professors and co-holders of the "Finance for innovation" Chair at Audencia